Document Legalization

Document Legalization at Embassies

Document Authentication & Legalization

Having your document legalized at the appropriate Embassy is the next step in ensuring that it is recognized as legitimate.  After the authentication of your document by Global Affairs, the Authentication and Service of Documents Section (JLAC) at the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD – formerly DFAIT – Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade), your document must be provided for legalization at the respective country’s Embassy.  Over the years, GMJ has dealt extensively with the majority of the Embassies in Ottawa, which helps ensure a smooth process of getting your documents legalized in a timely manner.  Some of the Embassies will legalize your documents while we wait; most of the Embassies will complete the legalization in 1 to 3 business days, however, there are a few Embassies that can take up to one week to complete the Legalization process.  The length of time for legalizing your documents at the Embassy is the only step of the process  that is out of our control. The fact that we have very good relationships with the Consular staff in the Embassies helps so much with getting your documents legalized as quickly as possible.

Diplomas, Degrees & Transcripts (High School, College, University)

If you’re planning on continuing your education or seeking employment overseas,  you may be required to have your diploma/degree and/or transcripts authenticated and legalized.  After your documents have been authenticated at Global Affairs (Foreign Affairs) your destination country may require your documents to be legalized at the respective Embassy.  At GMJ we’ve worked closely with many Embassies in Ottawa over the years and have developed strong relationships with them.  This enables us to ensure that your documents will be legalized as quickly as possible.  If your destination country is the UAE or Qatar, the Embassy requires that your transcripts be sent from the University or College directly to them.  They will not legalize your documents until they have received the transcripts. Global Affairs will authenticate an original diploma, degree or transcript from a Canadian High School, recognized College or University without having to be notarized. High School diplomas or transcripts must be signed by the Principal or Vice-Principal of the school or they will have to be notarized. Some people don’t like to use their original documents and in this case, a notarized copy would need to be done. The Embassy of Qatar does require originals only. The Consulate will accept a notarized copy along with the original but they will still have to legalize the original.

Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates

Whether you are moving abroad, getting married in a different country or possibly taking care of an estate of a loved one that has passed, you will need to have your documents authenticated at Global Affairs (Foreign Affairs) and then legalized at the respective Embassy. The first thing you will need to do is order a “long form” certificate from Vital Statistics. Some countries require the original document and Global Affairs (Foreign Affairs) will stamp the long form certificate without a notarization. If you are in a hurry you can even have Vital Statistics mail or courier us the document to save time.

Our address:
GMJ Professional Services
489 Deancourt Crescent
Orleans, Ontario K4A 3G3

Commercial Documents

If you are conducting business overseas some countries require Certificates of Origin or Packing Lists, etc … to be authenticated by Global Affairs (Foreign Affairs) and then legalized at their respective Embassy. Most Embassies require that your commercial documents be stamped by the Chamber of Commerce or Board of Trade first. If this is the case, then your documents will not have to be notarized as Global Affairs (Foreign Affairs) has their signature specimens on file. If your document is a Power of Attorney, it will have to be notarized before they will authenticate and legalize the document.


Unfortunately, some documents need to be notarized. This can be done by any Canadian Notary or Lawyer. You can have this done before you mail it to us or we can have it done for you. The lawyer we use charges $35 for the first document and $10 for each additional document.

Some Embassies that we deal with in Ottawa

AlgeriaCzech RepublicItalyPalestineThailand
AngolaDenmarkJordanPanamaTrinidad & Tobago
ArgentinaDominican ReplublicKazakhstanParaguayTunisia
ArmeniaDutch (Netherlands)KoreaPeruTurkey
BahrainEstoniaLebanonPortugalUnited Arab Emirates
BelarusEthiopiaLibyaQatarUnited States
ChinaHondurasMongoliaSouth Africa
ColombiaHungaryNetherlandsSouth Korea
CongoIndiaNew ZealandSpain
Costa RicaIndonesiaNicaraguaSri Lanka